Quick and Easy Puto Recipe
Seeing how my kids enjoyed the puto (steamed rice cake) served at my brother-in-law’s birthday yesterday, I was encouraged to try making my own version for the first time using the recipe of my father-in-law’s sister as my guide.
I followed all the ingredients in her list, tweaked the measurements a little to achieve a finer texture, pour some vanilla on the mixture for added flavor, and voila — it was delicious!
My husband and kids loved it!
Try it too and make your family happy! (Scroll down for the ingredients and cooking instructions.)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted (I didn’t sift mine because it had no lumps whatsoever)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- vanilla extract, 1 tbsp. (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup of water
- cheese, sliced
- TIP: Please use a standard measuring cup. 1 cup is equivalent to 250 ml
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well
- Add the evaporated milk, melted butter, eggs, water and vanilla extract
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly until the texture becomes completely smooth
- Pour the mixture on each mold
- Place the molds in the steamer
- Steam for 15-20 minutes
- Put sliced cheese on top of each puto, then steam for another 5 minutes
- Remove the puto from the molds and serve on a tray.
Using all the ingredients above, I was able to make 55 pieces of small puto for my kids!